During Spring and Fall cleaning times, one of the most asked questions of the desk staff is: “Do you take donations?”. We do – and we don’t. There is a limit to what we are able to accept, and there are times of the year when we accept more than at other times.
All year we accept donations that meet the following criteria:
- Books with a copyright date that is within the past two years (i.e. in 2012 we would accept books from 2010-2012 only);
- Books that are in excellent condition – no rips, tears, watermarks, bent covers; not smelling of strong perfume or cigarette smoke;
- Books that have never been stored in an unfinished basement or a garage.
Items that we never accept include:
- Worn or damaged books
- Books that have mold or mildew (this is a health hazard)
- Out of date books
- Reader’s Digest Condensed Books
When you bring your donations, please do not bring large quantities at one time, as we have to store them until we can add them to the collection or put them in our annual book sales.
Parameters open up slightly for the book sales – books can be slightly older, but still must be in excellent condition – when they are being brought in for the annual sales.
Sales Dates & Locations:
|Branch||Sale Date||Collection Period|
|D A Jones Branch
42 Main St. W.
|Honey Festival Weekend
Last Saturday in May
|March, April & May|
|Pam Kirkpatrick Branch
5-55 Queen St. S.
Second Saturday in July
|May, June & July|
17 Victoria St. E.
|Potato Festival Weekend
Second Saturday in August
|June, July & August|
If you have books that do not qualify for donations, there are several ways that you can dispose of them:
- Recycling: Please recycle old and out-of-date books in your blue box. Paperbacks and magazines will be accepted if they are placed in plastic grocery bags in your blue box.Hardcover books must have their covers removed first. The covers are not recyclable but the rest of the book is.
- Other Agencies that MAY Accept Book Donations: CONTACT (The Clothesline in Alliston) 705-435-0790; World Vision (Alliston) 705-435-3094; Adjala Recycling Depot (watch the local paper for information); Goodwill Bins (Tottenham, Alliston & Barrie) 905-737-1286; Salvation Army (Newmarket) 905-830-1656; and local second hand book stores.
If you have any questions about book donations, please do not hesitate to call your local branch.